Feed your tummy, feed your soul. Stay in and fight Covid-19!
If you’re looking for a sweet tooth treat during this ‘quarantine’ season feel happy to try out our delicious Apple Crumble recipe. We usually make Apple pie, but to some it may sound daunting having to make your own dough and roll it. So here goes the simpler alternative. It’s easy, it’s delectable, and it’ll surely create a smile on your face. Try making it with your kids, after all this is the period to stay together and do many things (like seriously many) together at home 😅.
Classic comfort food at its best
PREP 15 mins
COOK 40 mins
6 medium sized Granny Smith Apples (or any apples of your choice or what’s available)
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbsp floor
1 cup floor
2 sticks cold butter, diced
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ice water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup demerara sugar for toppings
1. Set the oven to 190°C.
2. Peel, core and dice apples. Mix with all the other filling ingredients and cook for not more than 2 minutes on the stove.
3. Gently work on the crumble part, mixing the ingredients loosely (remember it’s supposed to be crumbly).
4. Put the filling into baking pan and top with the crumble.
5. Finish with a sprinkle of demerara sugar for added crunch and sparkle.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until brown to your liking.
7. Serve hot or cold with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Yum